Safer Internet Day 7th Feb 2017
Advice for parents and carers
1. Is your family internet safe? Do you know where to go for help and advice? visit: www.saferinternet.org.uk
2. Did you know you can set up age appropriate parental controls on your home broadband? If you don’t know how, contact your internet service provider for details.
3. Do you know what your child is up to when they are online or what apps they are using – good or bad? Visit: www.internetmatters.org
4. How many hours a day do you think is acceptable for your child to be on devices? Visit: www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology
5. Did you know that Vodafone produce a free online Digital Parenting Guide with many excellent tips and resources? www.theparentzone.co.uk
6. How do you encourage your child or young person away from their screens and be more engaged in family time? Need ideas visit: www.poolefamilyinformationdirectory.com/
7. How many friends do your young people have on their social networking sites? Do they really know them all? Keep talking to them about who they communicate with: www.bullying.co.uk
8. Do you know what your child’s favourite app or website is, as there are so many great ways to explore the internet with children of all ages?
9. Many schools will be focusing on Internet Safety this week – ask your child what they have learnt at school.
10. Have you and your children done the checklists for the social media sites you use? – view the pdf and check you and your teenagers are safe, there are checklists for Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. : www.saferinternet.org.uk/
11. Find out how to stand up to cyberbullies and understand the signs: www.childline.org.uk/