We will be holding our 2nd annual Science Fair on Thursday 11 July so all of our budding Scientists can show us how enthusiastic they are! The aim of the event is to showcase investigative science in an interesting and active way.
All pupils are invited to participate.
The focus of the fair is hands-on scientific investigation. Your child will design, test, analyse, and present a project that uses scientific methods to solve a problem. The sky’s the limit!
1st prize – Family ticket to the Winchester Science Museum
Other prizes include super science kits!
Parents will have an opportunity to view the Science Fair on the day from 1.30pm with the winners being announced at 2.30pm.
Children have attended a launch assembly today. They have looked at examples and been given guidelines, but this is a project to be completed at home. Much of the work will be self-directed although parents are encouraged to work with and support the children.
The key things for you to know are:-
- They must start with a question (see examples below).
- They must produce a display poster showing: the question, what they did to investigate, the data and the conclusion.
- They can demonstrate their investigation during the fair.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Mrs Sarah Melbourne at school if you have any questions.
Observing Over Time
- What happens to a puddle over a day?
- What happens to food when we leave it out?
- How does the weight of food change as it dries?
- Does the sun rise and set at the same time every day?
Identifying and Classifying
- We’ve collected lots of different materials. How can we sort them?
- How can animals be sorted?
- What clothes would be best to wear in the dark?
- Do all oranges have the same amount of segments?
- Is there a pattern between diet and the shape of teeth?
- Is it always windy when it is raining?
- Do different insects prefer different habitats?
- How are plastics polluting the earth?
- Do all butterflies have symmetrical wings?
- Why don’t cranes fall over?
- How far away are the other planets in our Solar System?
- Are all the ingredients important in a cake?
- What materials float?
- Which is the best material for insulation?
- What makes a structure stronger?